Saturday, April 11, 2009

OA and the Sticker System

So I went to the Overeater's Anonymous meeting on Thursday night, and I am just sorry I hadn't gone sooner. I am not sure what I expected, but I think this will be good for me. It was comforting enough to hear about the other women who were there and what their struggles with food are - they really aren't that different from mine. It was funny because these women were just so "normal" looking and if I ran into them on the street I wouldn't guess they have issues with food. I guess what is funny is, is how common a problem like this actually is, but it isn't anything people are really comfortable talking about - unless you find yourself in a group of peers or anonymously blogging to strangers on the Internet... Anyway, I am looking forward to going back next week and learning more about how to fight this and relinquishing control to a "higher power", as is the basis of the group.

I'm not going to lie though, the whole time I was there, I was thinking about having pizza once I left - to which I drove around to 4 different pizza shops until I found one which had donair pizza (WTF?!? That was the first time in my life I ever ate donair pizza, but suddenly in that meeting I had been craving it... oh my). So I came home and polished the slice off, to which I finished the jar of peanut butter (sigh - not looking forward to explaining that to my mom when she notices, because it was the "hidden" peanut butter) and ate more peanut butter chipits, all before my boyfriend came over. And I felt bad about lying to him when I said I only had a frozen dinner for supper, but didn't know how I could justify eating pizza after going to that meeting. As for the other junk, that "go big or go home" mentality gets me every time (I had already binged twice earlier in the day, what was one more time, right?). I really feel like Thursday was the worst day of my life in terms of eating. I felt sick going to bed and "hungover" on Friday when I woke up. But it was a new day - a long day - and I made it without binging (albeit was DAMN hard). But here I am two days later and my stomach is still swollen from all the food...

My brother ended up coming home last night and we had some pretty good heart to hearts, and he told me about what a friend of his does when trying to break a habit... She has this calendar which she keeps by her bed and every day she goes without doing her "bad habit", she gets a sticker on the day she was "good". I guess it gives her something to look forward to and encourages her by seeing all the stickers on her calendar. They serve as a reminder of her strength, and she looks forward to getting a new sticker each day she doesn't do the bad habit. I know it doesn't sound like much and is even a little silly, but I am going to give it a try. I went out this morning and bought a package of shiny stars and got to put one on April 10, which as silly as it may sound, I felt proud of, haha. So I am currently on my way to a 2nd shiny star on my calendar as I am halfway through day 2. And it does sound funny, but when I found myself thinking about the PB chipits, I reminded myself that I want another sticker for today, and won't get one through binging on chipits. So laugh if you like, but so far, it seems to have worked :)

As for my game of losing gym privileges (something I enjoy) when I binge (bad behaviour) I don't think that is going to work for me. I feel as though had I went to the gym on Thursday instead of staying home, I might have been able to break out of my funk. I'm not sure that is the way for me to go, but I guess for now I will see how this sticker system works. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can stop binging?

I am nervous about tomorrow, being Easter and all - supposed to be heading to a family party for dinner; but have requested that no one give me chocolate this year, so hopefully this will be respected, nonetheless, wish me luck tomorrow, and same to you - this is a hard time of year.

Love *N

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a good experience at OA. I'm still thinking about trying it.

    In other news, I think I might have found something to distract me from food. I've found a new hobby that I really, REALLY enjoy. It got me through the past 36 hours with no binge. I've taken up making jewelry...was expesive to start up, but I have the supplies now. And besides, if it keeps me from running out to eat when I get bored, then in the end, I won't be spending any extra money :)

    I'm going to an easter dinner potluck tonight. And believe it or not, I'm feeling very strong. I know there will be yummy and healthy choices tonight...so it's just going to be a matter of stopping when I get full....easier said than done, yes, but I feel strong.

    WARNING - if you don't want to read about God, don't read the next paragraph.

    Yesterday was Good Friday service at my church. They always do an amazing job at having all the members of the church participate (somewhere between 300 and 500.) This year, we could write our names on a pc. of cloth and nail it to the 8 foot cross we have set up for easter. I felt lead to nail my ED to the cross. I feel like I have so much more of Jesus' strenth in me after that moment. It's wonderful.

    Good luck with your Easter meal *N.

    jj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you that you finally managed to go to OA! I bet it will totally help. And the sticker system sounds good too.

    I'm still waiting for the ED program people to call me (it's been over a week so I am not holding my breath anymore). I'm also doing a juice fast to bring back some control and self discipline into my life.

    JJ that's wonderful to hear you found a fun thing to do to distract yourself! Kudos to you for thinking of that. Keeping busy definitely cuts down on the cravings.

    xoxo April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, JJ. I will give you more info about OA as I learn more about it through reading and attending meetings, but so far, I think it's going to be a good experience.

    That's great that you've found a new hobby in jewelry making, maybe I need something like that in my life to keep me busy, now that I've got all this free time being done school! It's funny you would say that you are making jewelry - a friend of mine is a recovering alcoholic and has taken up making jewelry as his hobby as well. Hmm... I might steal your hobby, lol... or at least give thought to something else, maybe I should head out to Michael's later...

    Good luck at your Easter dinner, I am happy to hear you sounding so positive! It sounds like you are doing well, be strong tonight, I know you can do it! And let me know how it went tomorrow!

    I am a bad Christian... I had every intent on going to Good Friday service yesterday but was just feeling so exhausted, I couldn't drag my sorry ass out of bed. It's funny because I was telling my boyfriend just on Thursday how I had just been feeling so alone and how I was going to start going back to church because I was starting to feel like God had forotten about me, then that same day I went to OA and they were talking about finding your "higher power", whatever it happens to be, and I know this is the time, if any, to head back to church. I am going to drag myself to go tomorrow, being the time for new beginnings, maybe this is what I need, when I need it most...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh...don't we all need a new beginning right now... I also plan to find a church here in my new neighborhood as soon as I can I'd like to go again. Remember though that God never forgets about you :) xoxo April

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second that. God never changes, it's us that change. I've learned that the hard way. He's waiting with open arms for you!!! :)

    I didn't do GREAT tonight at the potluck, but I didn't do awful either. I had a few too many extra treats, but I kept my calorie count down early in the day (just veggis, chicken, 1pc bread and a few crackers) b/c I knew I'd want lots tonight. But, I did stop before I was so full it hurt...which was a step for me. So over all, I'll call today a success. I wouldn't give myself a gold star today, but maybe silver :)

    <3 jj

    ReplyDelete