Monday, February 9, 2009

So last night was my "intervention". I haven't been so embarrassed to talk with my parents since I was 8 and they wanted to have "the talk", but they insisted (one of the pitfalls of being a 25 year old student living with her parents - they still think they own you). For the most part it was "tell us about it", "how did it get to this", "how can we help", etc.

I did my best to tell them about my controlling relationship with food, feeling lack of control around food, and how food consumes most of my thoughts in the run of a day (what I've eaten, when I've eaten, when I will eat next, etc.). I was careful to sensor the dark side of it (trying to purge, feelings of sadness, self loathing/hatred afterwards, crying/punching my stomach, etc.) since they took the first part hard enough. I didn't feel the need to divulge this part to them because it is what I am working through with my counsellor (and at least for now the trying to purge and punching has stopped, namely because I realized I can't make myself throw up, it is a losing battle, and the punching was a short-lived thing pre-Christmas, and would likely get me treatment for more than just disordered eating).

So they were pretty supportive and wanting to help where they could. They agreed to stop keeping temptations around the house and my mother agreed to stop baking when she gets bored, which will be a HUGE help, because this is very common at my house. And they agreed to stop buying things because they are on sale (i.e. discount candy after the holidays, hello chocolate dipped sugar cookies they are saving for a rainy day). And they were serious about it too. I went to get some peanut butter to put on some rice cakes, with no intention to binge on it, but it would turn out, my mother has hidden that on me. Kind of embarrassing, I know, but it is probably for the best, at least for now when this is still new for them and will help me as I try and get through this week.

They had suggestions for helping me as well, like calling them or talking to them, even waking them up if I get the urge, which is sweet, although I don't know that I will because I would hate to do that.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I wouldn't say I binged during the day, I definitely overate at supper (turkey dinner, desert), but everything went pretty good. Except for the fact that I knew I needed one last fling to end the "perfect weekend with him". So while I promised my parents I wouldn't, it was an empty promise from the beginning, because I knew I had to have one more wild tryst. After all, they hadn't gotten rid of everything yet. So I was WAITING for them to go to bed, and no sooner did I hear them go to bed, was I downstairs, rummaging through the freezer and I found some frozen coffee cakes (in case you're wondering why I do a lot of my binging out of the freezer, my mother buys most things in bulk, she loves a good deal on things, so we have lots of frozen goodies readily available, which she promises to work on for me). So I finished it off with a chocolate bar and 100 calorie snack pack, a mini-binge compared to what I'm used to, but a binge nonetheless. I knew I shouldn't, especially after that conversation, but I had to have it, for one last time with him. When I awoke this morning and my mother asked about my night, I felt bad lying to her, but sometimes what you don't know can't hurt you, right?

So all in all, today was a good day. I haven't binged and hope not to, although I have promised myself one small treat before bed. By allowing myself to have treats through the week I am hoping this will stop the urge to binge, if I am not always depriving myself for 22 hours a day of things I want. So I will not say I made it through the day today, because I when I say that and then I don't make it, I hate myself, so I won't prematurely congratulate myself, but I think I can do this.

It sounds like JJ had a good day today, I hope April did as well. Is there anyone else trying to do this with us, one day at a time?

xo *N

8 comments:

  1. So glad it went well with your parents!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you did that well today N and JJ. I didn't do so well. My boyfriend was having work troubles and felt upset and depressed about it and I got depressed as well and once again turned to food, argh!! I hate this! Yes I've eaten badly since last thursday as well. i am really hoping tomorrow I can turn it around. cheers and best wishes to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and thats cool that you are 25 the same age as me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks JJ!

    I think we are all 25, goes to show eating disorders/disordered eating aren't just for teenage girls...

    I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend April, I know what it is like to get caught up in someone else's problems and take them on as your own (a friend of mine says it's just what we do as women, always trying to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders). Good luck tomorrow! You can do it, I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks N. yes i actually know lots of adult women like us who struggle with this. I was reading all your earlier posts and was wondering how long you've had your ED, was it recently after dieting? I've had mine, a combination of bulimia, bingeing, and anorexia since I was 19. Your post in January about how you want to free yourself from "him" sounds very similar to a post that I made in my own journal. I'm badly addicted to sugar and binge foods and I want to break free from the addiction because it has so much power over me to make myself sick by eating crappy food. anyways, just wanted to say good luck today, we can do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Tear. I had an awful day.

    I had a very very bad day at work, so I went out for lunch with a friend. There I ate enough for 2 people. Then I went back to the office and had some choclate.

    From there my day got worse, so I ate about a dozen candies...choclate and toffees.

    Then when I left work I stopped at the store and bought a bunch of cookes. I just finished some of them.....and feel awful.

    The frustrating part is when I woke up today, I felt better than I had in a long time (physically.)

    I hate life sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. April,

    Looking back, I've always done this, it's just been taken to a new level since I began dieting last summer. I would always go on mini-binges, but could always stop myself before I got to the point of making myself feel sick. Pre-diet, I might have eaten a half a bag of chocolate chips and stopped there, or ate a bag of potato chips while zoned out and that would be it, where now it would be whatever I can eat in 45 minutes or so. I think that since I began dieting, I have felt like I am restricting myself, which I think is why I am binging. So I think I mentioned before, I am trying to allow myself to have small treats through the week in the hopes of satisfying these urges, so they aren't building up inside, to be released all at once. I've never hated myself for it until the fall.

    It has helped me a lot to identify this as an abusive or controlling relationship with Ed, or him as I refer to it as. Through looking at it like this, I feel like I can separate my wants from his (sometimes - that's the theory behind it anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  8. JJ,

    Oh no! I'm sorry you had a bad day. It sucks that these uncontrollable factors can control our lives and how we deal with them. That's the story of my life, "go big or go home" as it sounds like you did today. I know this isn't easy for you, it is hard for me as well. I wish I had something more supportive to say, but I know you can do it! Tomorrow is a new day for both of us. Remember he is strong and comes loaded with lots of reasons to be with him, he is not easy to resist, so try not to be so hard on yourself (easier said than done, I know), but we are hear for each other! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete